Colonial buildings in Kandy
The Queen's Hotel
The Queen’s Hotel, is an 80-room British colonial style 3-star hotel, located at the central hill capital of Kandy in Sri Lanka. Located in the centre of the city at the end of the main street, this former Governor’s residence is one of the oldest hotels in Sri Lanka with a history of over 160 years.
The hotel was originally constructed as a residence on instructions of King Sri Vickrama Rajasinha. Soon after the British defeated the Kandyan Kingdom in 1815, it was adapted as a mansion for the Governor of Ceylon, with adjoining buildings constructed to house British troops. The building was subsequently converted into the barracks, as a hostel and a boarding house, known as the Stainton Hotel. In 1869 its name was changed into the Queen’s Hotel.