Colonial buildings in Jaffna
The Jaffna Public Library
The Jaffna Public Library was originally built in 1933 and burnt in 1981. It was one of the biggest libraries in Asia, containing over 97,000 books and palm leaf manuscripts. Over a million books burned in the 1981 arson attack. Some ancient Sinhala and Tamil books were never recovered. In 2001, rehabilitation of the library was completed, with new structures being built and new books received, although the old books and manuscripts were not replaced. It is Sri Lanka’s second main public library.
The building’s classical lines and beautiful proportions make it stand out architecturally and it is surrounded by beautiful gardens.